Liquid face lifts are gaining popularity due to the increased longevity of fillers, but most importantly the zero downtime of this procedure. Unlike surgical face lifts, liquid face lifts also address skin tone and volume. Choosing a specialist trained in this technique will give you the most natural results. Liquid face lifts can often be combined with lasers such as Fraxel – this address all aspects of skin ageing, namely skin texture, tone and volume.
- Liquid face lifts use a natural substance called Hyaluronic Acid to add volume to key facial areas
- The addition of volume fills areas devoid of fat, and secondarily lifts folds, creases and wrinkles
- Filler face lifts last between 18 months to 3 years
- Layering different varieties of fillers in key areas will give the most natural and lasting results
- Liquid lifts works best for healthy skin- it can not be used to treat sun damaged skin nor does it improves skin texture
- Liquid lifting is best combined with gentle laser such as Fraxel for the treatment of skin texture, tone and volume
- The results with liquid face lifts are instant with virtually zero downtime
- The most natural and beautiful results comes from a balance of improving skin texture, volume and tone
- Choosing a Specialist who has skills in laser, filling and surgery will give you a balanced approach to skin rejuvenation
Volume replacement and displacement is the key to liquid face-lifts. Accurate placement of fillers (essentially man made collagen) will lift key areas such as the jowls, and cheeks. Fillers can also blend in the cheek lines and mouth creases.
Liquid face-lifts are best suited for patients with health skin but have lost volume in the face secondary to weight loss and or skin ageing. Unlike surgical face lifts, liquid lifts does NOT remove excess skin or treat sun damage skin.
Specific and accurate placement of fillers will provide skin lifting by re-volumising the deeper layers. HA fillers can also stimulate elastin – this acts to pull loose skin over time. Other fillers can stimulate your own’s body immune system to lay down new collagen. My filler of choice is Juvederm Voluma and Juvederm Volift, I also use Radiesse by Merz to stimulate collagen, and also the Restylane range of fillers. I am also trained in using Sculptra- however this dermal filler is only used for extreme loss of mid facial volume.
Mini-S-surgical face lifts are ideal for patients with marked skin laxity. With a surgical face lift, excess and loose skin can be tightened and skin tone marked improved. Ideal for patients with very loose skin, often over the age of 55. Mini-S lifting does not address mid face volume loss, nor does it improve sun damage- skin texture.
Energy based face lifts use heat from devices such as Ultherapy or Thermage to stimulate collagen and tighten skin. This can elevate the skin by 2-4 mm at most, and are ideally suited for patients in the late 30s to early 50s who desire skin tightening, but are not ready for a surgical face lift.
Laser face lifts are ideal for patients who have moderate skin laxity but lots of coarse wrinkles, and sun damage. Laser lifts can also stimulate a little bit of volume – however fillers are still encouraged.
Liquid face lifts are ideal for patients with mild to moderate skin laxity and volume loss. Liquid lifts have no downtime, and will address creases, jowls, depressions and volume depletion. Fillers last approximately 2 years.
Most Queenslanders will need a combination of mild laser resurfacing and a mini-S lift, Energy based face lifts, and Liquid Face lift for best results. Remember there is no one treatment that address skin texture, tone and volume- combination treatments give the best results but most importantly natural results.
More on understanding the balance between skin texture, tone and volume
The ideal face-lift will depend on many factors including-
- Your skin tone– patients with mild laxity are ideal candidates for liquid filler face-lifts. Moderate laxity and moderately poor skin tone- laser face lifts, whilst severe laxity and noticeably loose skin are candidates for surgical mini-s- face lifts
- You skin texture. This refers to the palate of your skin. if you have sun damage, age spots, brown discoloration and wrinkles, a laser face lift will address both deep and superficial aspects of skin rejuvenation
- Your health. If you are a smoker you may not be a candidate for laser or surgical face-lifts. This is because your skin needs a good supply of oxygen to heal. In this case, liquid filler face lifting is ideal
- Your budget. Liquid face-lifts are dependent on the amount of filler we use, and hence this is within your control. In patients who are in their 30s to 40s, with good skin texture, a natural but noticeable filler lift will only cost between $1090 to $2080 (as a guide). In your 50s, budget for 3-5 ml of filler (around $2970-$4800). The older you are, the more volume replacement is needed. In some case of extreme volume loss, I may have to use up to 8-9 ml of dermal fillers.
Juvederm, Restylane, Boletero, Radiesse are the most used fillers for liquid face lifts by Dr Davin Lim.
The main advantage of liquid lifts is the zero downtime associated with this procedure. Each session takes 20 minutes to perform, and make up can be worn the next day. They are also cheaper to perform than laser or mini-s face lifts.
The disadvantage of Liquid lifts is that this treatment only last 2+years, but it can repeated. Remember liquid lifts are great for treating furrows, creases and loss volume, but ideally they should be combined with laser if skin texture needs to be improved.
No. This procedure is very well tolerated. I only use Hyaluronic Acid fillers with a numbing agent so the entire process of filling is comfortable, and takes less than 30 minutes to perform.
20- 30 minutes. This is plenty of time for me to perform even the most complex of fillers lifts.
Changes like this are achieved in 20 minutes. Downtime? Zero.
Immediately. How I perform this procedure is a side-by-side comparison. Namely I fill one side first, and then hand you a mirror. You will notice an immediate difference, and then I fill up the other side. What you will notice is a more youthful appearance with a lift in key areas such as your cheeks, jowls and angles of the mouth. Your wrinkles will be decreased and you will appear fresher – looking at a younger version of you. Everything looks natural. This is a style of filling I call ‘Freestyle Filling by Dr Davin Lim.’
Liquid filler face-lifts last between 18 -36 months, with the average being 24 months. Fillers can be repeated and topped up as often as needed.
* New fillers are currently being developed that last beyond 30 months. Recent advancements in filler technology has led to the development of safe, long lasting fillers, and the future looks bright for even better products for the future
This depends on 2 factors, your age and how much filler is needed to ‘lift’ your skin and replenish volume. Everyone will have a individual structure to ‘build on’ however, as a guide-
Age 30s to 40 – $1090-$2080; this will give you a refreshing look that will last 18 to 24 months without going over the top. Only a small volume of filler is needed.
Age 40s-50s– $2500 – $4090; much more filler is needed to replenish loss volume, especially in the mid cheek area, and jowls. This age group is extremely variable – some patients only require 1-2 mls of filler, whilst others can require up to 5 ml (only a teaspoon) for optimal and natural results.
Age 50s and beyond– $3000- $5800; filling in this age group will need a variety of fillers including fine fillers for upper lip wrinkles, and volume filling for the jowls, chin, mid facial areas, temples and tear troughs (to decrease eye bags).
Yes, liquid filler face lifts can be combined with lasers, IPL, PhotoFraxel and even eMatrix RadioFrequency to further improve skin texture and skin tone. In some cases I use Energy based face lifting with Thermage or Ultherapy before liquid face lifts to achieve a better result. My combinations are as unique as you are.
Liquid face lifts with HA fillers are very safe, however carry a small amount of risks and side effects associated with all fillers- these include
- Prolonged bruising lasting 8 days or longer
- Lumps and asymmetry (this will dissipate with massage)
- Nerve damage (less than 0.1% due to cannula trauma)
- Vessel damage and intravascular injection (1 in 9,000 cases)
- Infection (1 in 2,000 cases)
- Reaction to Hyaluronic Acid (1 in 100,000 cases) – this is exceedingly rare, as HAs are the safest synthetic fillers
By Dr Davin Lim
Laser and Aesthetic Dermatologist
Liquid or filler lifting is the newest of all lifting techniques, and has been only perfected over the past 3 years. In my opinion this is one of the best techniques for lifting in patients aged between the mid 30s to the early 50s- providing skin texture is good. This provides a natural form of lifting, with little if any downtime. Risks are minimal and results last 2 years or more. With the event of newer Hyaluronic Acid (HA) fillers to be introduced in 2017-2018, expect prices to drop and filler longevity to increase. Things can only get brighter.
Do I believe in this technique? Absolutely. I had this procedure preformed to myself in my mid 40s with 9ml of fillers- yes, that is correct 9 ml in strategic locations to help lift and reshape my mid face and jawline.
I firmly believe that if could perform one procedure in patients in their mid 30s- it would be a filler face lift. Loss of mid facial fat occurs in the late 20s and early 30s– this gives a tired, droopy, weary look. A tiny bit of filler, even at age 30+ will lift up the cheeks, and make a subtle and natural difference, without the downtime associated with laser or surgery.
Patients who have sun damage and photo ageing will require treatments to their skin surface to improve texture- this is where a laser face lift comes into play. Patients in their 60s with marked skin laxity and volume loss will require both surgical intervention and filler for volume replenishment for optimal, yet natural age-appropriate outcomes. My filler of choice is 95% of cases is the Juvederm range of fillers made by Allergen. These fillers include Voluma, Volift, and for softer filling, Volbella. I also use a special concentration of Radiesse made by Merz- this filler, unlike HA fillers, can stimulate collagen production over 3-6 months.