Eyes are the central focus of the face and the windows to the soul. They can give away someone’s age, conversely, if the are area is opened and fresh, they can evoke youth, happiness and beauty. Eyelid surgery removes excess skin, muscle and fat around the upper and sometime lower eyelids. Some patients may have droopy brows, and eyelid surgery maybe combined with a brow lift. I find that eye rejuvenation is one the most important aspects of facial rejuvenation as eyes are the first point of contact.
- Refreshing the eyes can make a huge difference to perception of your age
- Eyes are the very first thing people look at when greeting you and should be the first point of rejuvenation
- Droopy eyelids, eye bags, and premature wrinkling around the eyes can make you look tired and older than you are
- Eyes can be improved by surgical and non- surgical methods
- Lasers can improve mild to severe cases of wrinkling, droopiness and eye bags
- Ultherapy is another non-surgical method to treat eyelid laxity
- Surgery, known as blepharoplasty and a brow lift maybe indicted for severe cases
- The use of fillers and muscle relaxants can also smooth out eye bags and rejuvenate the windows to your soul
Droopy eyelids are part of the natural ageing process. Some people age faster than others, in others UV exposure and smoking can decrease collagen and increase skin laxity.
The most frequent cause of droopy eyelids is a loss of collagen resulting in excess skin. Pinch the sides of your eyelids. See how much ‘give’ there is compared to someone who is younger? In others a heavy brow may also give rise to droopy eyelids, and together with excess eyelid skin, give you a tired look.
The aim of treatments is to either remove excess skin, stimulate collagen to tighten the lids, or lift the brow. Some patients may benefit from all 3.
This will depend on the type of eyelid correction method. All operations are conducted at Westside Laser Dermatology. Surgical methods are performed in our surgery suites, whilst laser procedures are done in our main laser surgery operating theatre.
I perform all of these procedures under partial sedation, as well as local anaesthetic. The procedure is painless.
Surgical correction of droopy lids takes between 40-80 minutes to complete. The length of operation depends on how much skin I need to remove, as well as muscle and fat. In some cases I perform upper and lower lids at the same time.
Laser correction of lid laxity takes 15-30 minutes to perform, longer if full face resurfacing is conducted at the same time.
Ultherapy correction of lid laxity takes 20 minutes to perform, however the best effects are seen 2-3 months after this treatment. Ultherapy is a non-surgical method that uses focused ultrasound to stimulate collagen over time, and provide a ‘lift’.
I will go thru the technical aspects of each procedure with you during the consultation- remember it is the balance of texture, tone and volume of the eye area that gives the best and most natural results.
For severe cases of droopy eyelids, surgery of the lids and sometime eyebrow is need for best results. Surgery can reliably lift the lids, remove excess skin, muscle and fat and instantly rejuvenate the eyes.
Healing time from surgery is also quicker than laser, typically sutures are removed at day 6.
In summary, surgery is reserved for severe cases of excess skin and in patients whereby a brow lift is also needed.
Laser eyelid surgery or laser blepharoplasty is an excellent method for treating the following-
- Mild to moderate cases of droopy upper lids
- Mild to moderate cases of droopy lower lids
- Very loose skin around the eyes. Severe cases can also respond, although surgery will provide longer lasting results.
- If there is wrinkling and laxity of your lower eyelid, laser can decrease eye bags, smooth out wrinkles and tighten skin. Laser provides overall eye rejuvenation improving skin texture and tone.
- If you have surrounding wrinkles on the sides (smile lines or crow’s feet), laser can markedly reduce the wrinkling of time. Laser can also treat other areas of your face that may benefit from rejuvenation including your upper lips, and cheeks. Laser resurfacing not only tightens skin, it can remove sun damage, age spots, and improve skin texture and tone.
Some patients may benefit from UPPER EYELID surgery, coupled with lower eyelid laser PLUS laser resurfacing to the rest of the face.
Yes, I commonly combine both procedures – namely upper eyelid surgery as well as lower eyelid laser resurfacing. This is most often combined with full face resurfacing at the same time.
The best method depends on the amount of skin laxity as well as the overall condition of your facial skin.
I will guide you as to what is the most appropriate procedure for you. I base my recommendations on –
- The degree and severity of upper and lower lid laxity
- The amount of brow drop you have
- The overall skin texture and skin tone you exhibit
- The amount of sun damage and sun spots you have
- Your downtime of days you need to rest
- Your budget
- Your medical health
Yes, most patients over the age of 50 elect to treat other areas of their face whilst having eyelid surgery. Most patients will also exhibit laxity in other areas, and a combination of surgery, laser, Ultherapy and dermal fillers maybe need for the best results.
Eye Rejuvenation Surgery
No. Firstly, surgery is done under light sedation to ensure comfort levels. I also use a numbing cream on the lids, before numbing injections. This makes the procedure painless.
For laser resurfacing I use a similar process, however numbing creams and local injections are extended beyond the eyelids, as a ‘blend’ of the surrounding skin needs to be achieved.
Firstly it is vital that you avoid any medications that can make you bleed easier- this includes Fish Oil, Asprin, anti-inflammatory medications, and Vitamin E. These medications should be ceased at least 2 weeks prior to surgery.
Smoking should be avoided prior and after surgery. I will discuss the pre-op instructions during the consultation. This is followed up by another pre-op check by my nurse a week before surgery.
About 6-9 days, depending on the extent and type of surgery.
For surgical eyelids blepharoplasty- one week of noticeable swelling. Swelling then subsides over 3 weeks. Lower eyelid surgery heals a lot faster than upper eyelid surgery (due to gravity).
Laser eyelid blepharoplasty takes 7-9 days to heal. This depends on how deep and extensive your wrinkles are.
During the healing time you will not be able to put on make up. You will need to use an antibiotic ointment daily till your skin heals.
The costs for eyelid surgery will depend on the extent and type of procedure. Some patients need surgery to remove excess skin, whilst others only need laser resurfacing. Some will benefit from upper lid surgery and lower lid laser.
As a guide-
- Laser eyelid surgery to both upper and lower lids plus facial fractional ‘blend’ $4200
- Surgical upper lid blepharoplasty $3900
- Surgical lower lid blepharoplasty $2900
No, eye rejuvenation is considered as cosmetic in nature and not covered under Medicare- Private Health insurance.
In cases whereby eyelids obstruct your field of vision, a Medicare rebate can apply- this is exceptional rather than the rule.
By Dr Davin Lim
Eyelid rejuvenation is one of my favoured procedures because the results can be excellent. I have performed over 500 procedures over the past 7 years, including both surgical as well as laser/ non surgical rejuvenation. Since completely specialling in laser and aesthetics, I now perform 3-4 of these procedures on a weekly basis. Each patient provides a unique challenge, as it is my job to find the optimal method for eye rejuvenation. Look at the before and after galleries to understand how I achieve this. In some patients with severe laxity- surgery is the only option, in others it’s a combination of laser and surgery, in others a combination of lasers and filler. I look beyond the eye itself, and take careful note of the surround skin- especially the cheeks, and sides of the eyes- treating all areas with harmony and balance will give the most natural results. Through out this site, I keep the emphasis on the balance between texture, tone and harmony, and this applies to eye rejuvenation as well.