Istarted the peel program at Westside Dermatology, introducing 5 different peels types over the years. We are now one of Brisbane’s leading chemical peel centers, specializing in AHA peels, salicylic peels, Vitamin A peels, lactic acid peels, and my personal favourite- the TCA peel. My Specialist team will tailor a peel strength and type to effectively treat your skin condition. Peels can treat acne, acne scarring, skin pigmentation,melasma, wrinkles, sun damage, and provide overall skin rejuvenation. Chemical peels can also improve skin texture and tone.
- Chemical peels can be used to treat a variety of skin conditions
- Glycolic peels are ideal for skin rejuvenation, skin pigmentation and melasma
- VITA peels or vitamin A peels are great for acne prone skin,open pores and anti-ageing
- Salicylic acid peels are best for acne, blackheads and congested skin
- Lactic acid peels can help with skin rejuvenation and melasma
- TCA peels can help with wrinkles, pigmentation and melasma
- TCA CROSS peels can treat open pores, as well as deep ice pick acne scars and box car scarring
- A peel program according to your skin condition
- Chemical peels are cost effective- $98 for a Specialist prescribed peel
We have 5 types of chemical peels, some peels are ideal for a particular skin condition. Chemical peels can address-
- Acne, blackheads, whiteheads, congested skin
- Melasma, hormonal pigmentation, brown pigmentation
- Age spots, sun spots, and poor skin texture
- Wrinkles and poor skin tone
- Acne scars and open pores
Specialists use prescription peels, namely these peels are generally stronger and more effective compared to beauty and cosmetic clinics.
For example, we can safely treat patients with 100% TCA or 70% Glycolic acid peels. Our VITA peels are 100 times stronger than beautician Vitamin A creams. Our Specialist training enables us to use these peels with safety, but with a higher strength the clinical results are better.
TCA peels can either treat the whole face or acne scars. TCA peels can improve skin pigmentation, wrinkles, and improve skin texture and tone. With low strength TCA peels, pigmentation and skin texture can be improved with very little, if no downtime.
TCA CROSS is a special form of high strength TCA peel for acne scars and open pores, recovery is between 7-9 days. This type of TCA peel is only applied to ‘spots’ and not the entire face.
If you review my before and after photos you can see the difference a medium TCA peel makes. I tend to perform less TCA full face peels as this has been replaced by Fraxel. Fraxel laser gives the same results with a quicker recovery time and a nicer blend to the surrounding skin.
More on Fraxel laser
This depends on what condition you have. As Specialists we pick a particular type of peel depending on your problem. The type of peel and concentration are all tailored to individual needs.
Acne, blackheads, whiteheads, congested skin– VITA peels, salicylic acid, glycolic peels are all excellent treatments. My choice? VITA peels are the best.
Melasma, skin pigmentation– Glycolic acid peels and TCA peels are my preferred peels for skin pigmentation
Sun spots, age spots, fine wrinkles– TCA or Glycolic peels first, VITA peels second
General skin rejuvenation – TCA or Glycolic acid peels, 6 peels. Repeated every 4 to 6 months
Chemical Peels Brisbane
Chemical peels are very well tolerated. Glycolic acid and salicylic acid peels feel like a tingle on the skin for a few minutes. This sensation disappears as soon as the peel is over. VITA peels are not associated with any pain or tingling.
Once again this depends on the condition we are treating. Some cases only require one peel, other cases need a series of peels.
Acne, congested skin, blackheads: 1-3 peels recommended
Melasma, skin pigmentation: 4-6 peels advised
We recommend you limit your activities with the following peels-
VITA peel- no exercise for 6 hours after application of the peel
Salicylic acid peels- no exercise for 48 hours post peel
With all peels you should limit sun exposure for 10 days after the peel.
- Limit your sun exposure for one week prior to a peel and 10 days after.
- Make sure you do not have an active cold sore during the time of the peel.
- Do not exfoliate your skin for 7 days prior to a peel and 7 days after the peel.
- Avoid prescription vitamin A creams for 48 hour prior to a peel and 7 days after the peel.
Either the VITA peel or a salicylic acid chemical peel. These peels are only $98 and they work!
- VITA peel: high strength vitamin A peel. You will actually peel 48 hours after this is applied. *
- Salicylic acid peel: high strength (up to 30%) BHA peels. You will peel immediately and exfoliate after this peel. Great for instant results. Not recommended if you have an event on that day or the day after.
*The VITA peel is my personal favourite peel. I apply this to myself once every month to remove congested skin and blackheads.
TCA peels and Glycolic acid peels are best for melasma.
The best and fastest way to treat melasma is a combination of chemical peels, bleaching creams and gentle laser therapy.
More on treating melasma
My preferred peel is either a TCA peel or a Glycolic acid /AHA fruit acid peels. This peel is designed as a step up regime, starting at 20% AHA and finishing at 70% AHA. Specialist nurses perform this peel every 2-3 weeks, a series of 6 peels are recommended. AHA peels will improve skin texture, decrease sun spots and sun damage, improve pigmentation and increase the radiance of facial skin. This peel will also improve skin tone, stimulate collagen and decrease fine wrinkles.
This is also known as a ‘lunch time peel’- it takes 10 minutes to perform and is not associated with any downtime. Overall the AHA peel is an excellent affordable peel for skin rejuvenation with no downtime, and great results.
TCA peels are equally as effective, and in higher concentrations are better than AHA peels. Ideally I select a peel type and concentration according to your skin age as well as you expectations.
Chemical peels start from $98- this include all peels conducted by my Specialist nurses.
Acne scarring such as ice pick and box-car scars respond best to TCA CROSS. This is a very high strength of Trichloroacetic Acid placed directly onto the acne scar. Deep ice pick scars and box scar scars do best. This form of chemical peel is conducted by Dr Davin Lim, using different concentrations of TCA. Most patients require a series of 2-3 peels spaced 6-8 weeks apart. TCA CROSS can also be used to treat open pores. This type of chemical peeling is classed as ‘medical peels’ and not ‘cosmetic peels’ and a Medicare Rebate applies in cases of scarring.
More on TCA CROSS
TCA can even be used in dark skin types with safety.
Side effects are very rare following peels. The following side effects are known to happen-
- Chemical burns (usually with high strength glycolic acid), 1 in 400 cases. Temporary, heals within 10 days. Scarring is extremely uncommon.
- Allergy to peels. This can happen with Glycolic acid (1 in 3000 cases) or with salicylic acid (1 in 1000 cases). If you have an allergy to asprin, salicylic acid peels cannot be performed. Allergic reactions settle within 3 days.
- Skin colour changes- more common with TCA peels (high strength) or VITA peels. You should take special precautions to maximise sun protection for 10 days post peels.
Cost of Chemical Peels- Brisbane Prices
This includes all types of chemical peels performed by our Specialist nurses – VITA peels, Glycolic acid peels, Lactic acid peels, low strength TCA peels, and salicylic acid peels.
Chemical peel package pay for 5, receive complimentary 6th peel- ideal for melasma treatments and skin rejuvenation.
TCA CROSS Chemical peels are performed by Dr Davin Lim are $1090 per peel. * In some cases a Medicare Rebate applies for the treatment of acne scars. Dr Lim personally performs this chemical peels Brisbane.
Dr Davin Lim
Laser and Aesthetic Dermatologist
Depending on the type of peel, we can treat skin conditions such as acne and acne scarring, melasma and brown pigmentation, sun damage, and even wrinkles. Chemical peels can improve skin texture and tone. Chemical peels are effective and also cost effective.
Peels are also used in a maintenance skin program after treatments such as laser resurfacing and face-lifts. My personal skin care regime is to use a VITA peel on a Thursday, with a resulting delayed peel over the weekend. I perform this peel on myself once a month. I am also a big fan of TCA peels as this form of chemical peel can address skin pigmentation and improve skin texture, as well as stimulate collagen production. This means less fine wrinkles. Concentrations can be tailored according to one’s skin age! Dr Lim has been performing chemical peels Brisbane for over a decade.